Mooi River takes its name from the Afrikaans. The early settlers were so impressed by the natural beauty of the river that they called it 'mooi' (pretty). During the second Boer War, Mooi River was the scene of minor engagements and a 1500 bed military hospital was established. Stretches of the Mooi River offer boating facilities whilst the upper reaches of the Mooi are a fly fisherman's paradise.
Further upstream, the Mooi River Falls are a marvellous site when the river is in flood. Outside the town, the Craigieburn Dam has camping sites and picnic spots. The predominant occupation in the area is dairying and stock farming.
The Mooi River area is home to several of South Africa's finest stud farms of which several offer tours to visitors. The king of the local stud farms is Summerhill (0333 31314) which attracts clients from around the world and has won numerous awards. Visits take around an hour. For those who are looking for a convenient pitstop, the old station has been converted into the Station Masters Arms.
Mooi River is part of the Midlands Meander the most interesting attractions being The Linen Loft and Sharrow Weaving.The Mooi River Transitional Local Council, PO Box 47, Mooi River 3300,
033 2631221 (+fx)
The Rhode Museum is in an old house owned by a local businessman - Edgar Rohde. There are displays covering dairying, polo, old Mooi River, a photographic display of Bruntville - the local African township, Zulu beadwork and other settler items.